Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A short Husband brag

Actually, a long Husband brag.

First off, let me say, it hasn't always been sunshine and roses with Husband and I. Last year at this time we almost joined the ranks of the divorce statistics. I'm not exaggerating with that statement. It was almost all over. But, Husband did something amazing and proved to me that our marriage was more important than his pride. He went to marriage counseling with me after months of fighting me. And it, literally, saved our marriage. This may sound cliche, but now that we've moved past the crisis I am thankful for it because it showed me the true strength of our relationship.

That said, I can be awfully critical of him at times, so let me take a moment to brag a bit.

Five years ago when his great niece was an infant, he gagged when she spit up a little on him, threw her into my arms and began ripping clothes off. Basically, he was completely spastic about the bodily functions of a baby, not a great indicator of future father material. He has repeatedly told me he couldn't handle changing diapers. Not even wet ones. Point blank refused.

This week, the Nephew (who will henceforth be known as Peanut because that's what I call him and I just can't stand calling him Nephew any more) had his first cold. Saturday night he threw up about two ounces of formula all over daddy. Sunday morning he threw up a large amount of formula all over Husband. In an event I can refer to as nothing short of miraculous, Husband put Peanut on his changing table, took off his outfit and cleaned him up before removing his own polo shirt. He then proceeded to change a poopy diaper before redressing him. Yep, my husband.

FTR, this is the second dirty diaper he has changed in the past two weeks and has even mastered the technique of changing a little boy without getting squirted. I was impressed and proud.

In addition to this, I have to brag on Husband's professional accomplishments. One of the girls I work with has a husband who is unemployed and not even attempting to attain employment. He's using school as an excuse (I won't go into all the details), but it's a bunch of bologna. But this particular man's lack of ambition and lack of responsibility has made me more appreciative of Husband's career and resilience.

When we were dating and first married he was a pilot. Then 9/11 happened. I think you can guess where his career went. Without missing a beat, he entered a new field and has become immensely successful. In the space of three years he has been promoted three times, received half a dozen raises and obtained 100% company paid medical, dental and vision insurance for himself and any dependents. In addition, he has begun his own company and has been very successful with it, making an amazing supplemental income. Between these two careers, I'll be afforded the privilege of being a stay-at-home mom. And I adore him for the fact he understood and embraced my need to be a SAHM and made major moves to make that possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes but we do need to whine about them at times

Parissa