Thursday, October 11, 2007

Proclamation

I finally feel comfortable talking about this: I sought medical intervention.

Let me say, if I had my choice, I would have a midwife to care for me in the preconception, pregnancy and delivery of my child, but that isn't a feasible option for me. I'd love to give birth in one of the comforting rooms of the local birthing center, but since local to me is an hour an a half away... it isn't a good option for me.

So, heeding the advice of my doula, I went to the most AP/natural birthing friendly doctor in this area. I know, I know, seeing the words natural birth and doctor are usually polar opposites, but I have to sing the praises of this particular doctor. I have heard horror stories of OB/GYNs staring at women as though they are from another planet when they begin discussing charts, luteal phases, cervical mucus and basal body temperatures so I was very wary walking in there. In fact, as I opened the door to his office, I was shaking because I was so nervous.

For the sake of anonymity, I shall refer to him as Dr. D because my creativity has run dry at this particular point.

When he walked in (and he knocked first!), he shook my hand, introduced himself and said, "Usually the schedule gives me some clue as to why my patients are here, but they didn't give me too much insight for you, so I'll let you tell me what's going on." Very cool, very laid back. I take note of certain things where physicians are concerned and these are the things that stood out to me:
  1. He never, ever interrupted me. Not once.
  2. He made sure things were on my level. Now, I am a tech so he could speak to me medically and I would be cool with that, but he made sure to not speak too "doctorly" in an attempt to make the patient feel stupid as so many docs do.
  3. He looked me in the eye. The. Entire. Time.
  4. He wrote down everything I was saying.
  5. He was familiar with NFP, charting and even was familiar with Fertility Friend.
  6. He asked to see my charts, he was VERY interested in them and knowledgable about them.
  7. When the subject of nursing came up, he said, "It sounds like you plan to be a breastfeeding mama. That is great!"
  8. He spent an uninterrupted 30minutes (at least, 30, maybe more) talking to me, getting to know me.
  9. He warmed the speculum!!!

At this point, it appears there are two possibilities: A) Husband has a low sperm count, or B) I have insufficient ovulations (I ovulate, but do not produce quality eggs). Also, because of my short LPs (what he is basing the possible insufficient ovulations on), I am at a higher risk of miscarriage, so he wants me to begin baby aspirin as soon I conceive and to be monitored closely through the first trimester.

Disclaimer: I am not Lil Miss Super Duper OB Fan, I do not think all doctors are gods, but I do think I found the exception to the rule. And I am thrilled right now.

No comments: