Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Nephew

I admit that I have spent an insane amount of time thinking, okay, obsessing about when Husband and I should try for a child. Because of that, I feel that others should do the same. I understand that there are such things as "oops" babies, however, when you are planning to have a child, I don't think it should just be because you want to, but also because it's the right time in every sense.

Husband's brother and sister-in-law, however, don't share in my thinking. Let me set the scene for you, they are:
  • $250,000.00 (a quarter of a million dollars) in debt.
  • Husband's brother likes "toys" with big price tags, in spite of their debt, he continues to buy the cameras, models and computer equipment he so longs for.
  • The sister-in-law is incapable of making her own decisions. Didn't even choose her own wedding gown or home decor. Um, yeah.
  • Their combined salary is that of just Husband's.
  • While I adore them both, the brother can be selfish at times and the sister-in-law is indulgent.
  • They have barely personalized their home in any way. It's still very stark, very sterile.

When my brain computes this info it comes back with big red flags saying: "Not ready! Not ready!" Apparently brother and sister-in-law disagree since I have this adorable, precious little creature called nephew.

In addition to all the points I highlighted, they also had to add another $10,000 to their debt because sister-in-law has a condition where she is unable to conceive and requires donor eggs. Yep, that means invitro fertilization. See where I am going with this one?

I don't mean to say I am not tickled pink for them, I am.

I don't mean to say I am not thrilled more than words can describe that my gorgeous nephew is here, I am.

I don't mean to say I think they are horrible people, I don't.

My point is, I am just irritated at having waited and planned to such an excruciating detail, making sure every little thing is covered before making this decision. This has involved several dates that were later rescheduled, much to my ire. And I am further annoyed that some people don't care about the meaningless details which have driven me for the past two years.

Yeah, basically I am taking out my frustration on them.

No comments: